Thursday, August 11, 2011

A game of kings

So I'm in a bind and could use some help from the wonderful webz. I want to get R a chess set, something unique but not cheap looking. So plastics, resin, and poly mixes are out. I'm thinking a themed set, along the lines of Ancient Greece (mythology based pieces), Egypt (again, mythology pieces), or Japan (Samurai vs Ninja kind of thing).

Or, a really lovely "standard" ish chess set made from carved stone or wood. But, kind of ...different. Ornate? If that makes sense?

The closest to the myth sets I've found would be here, which has about the right sculpted detail & quality, but I can't find much info on it. There's a set here that's pretty neat, but seems a bit on the "meh" side as far as the pieces go. I can't even find anything close to a non-resin Samurai set.

As for the other options of wood or stone, oy ve. There are so many to choose from, my head is still spinning from it. I can't even begin to narrow down the choices because I'm not familiar with the differences between  a marble piece vs an obsidian piece vs a rosewood piece is. Or, you know, whatever the choices may be. Have any input? Advice? Links?!?


2 comments:

  1. Have you seen our team mate's chess sets? He has sold them to some pretty famous people too!

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/72125001/chess-set-naturalchess?ref=pr_shop

    You are very talented and I bet you would be able to hand make a pretty awesome set. Maybe get a vintage board and then make the pieces out of recycled material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately that link didn't work, maybe you can link me to his shop?

    Thanks for the support! I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle a chess set just yet-I have too many half-done projects as it is! What a great idea for the future, though.

    ReplyDelete