Saturday, October 2, 2010

Accident Prone

In the past week, I've been bit by my own dogs, suffered heat exhaustion, and stepped on/been swarmed by a fire ant mound. Twice. 
From these incidents, I've learned many things. The most important lesson being that I should just live inside a protective bubble. 

The dog bites: We had all three dogs out in the yard playing around with some tennis balls. All in all, it was going well. The girls would chase after the ball, vying for first-dibs, and Duke would just chase them thinking it was a strange form of herding exercise. He does love to herd. 

All was well and good until R decides to scamper off to take care of something around the side of the house. A few more rounds of toss-chase-fetch go just dandy, until suddenly the girls go after each other. Lots of snarling, growling, locking onto each others throats. 

With a tongue like that, I'm surprised she has room for teeth! 
The most vicious act she's capable of is tail-thwacking! 
So, basically, I panicked. There was no noticeable warnings before they went after each other-no stiff body posture, no warning growl, no nervous wagging or back-held ears. I couldn't fathom why they started to fight, and my panicky little brain knew what to do, but of course, the panic took over the common sense. 

When dealing with a dog fight, I *know* what to do. I've broken up several before. They were just never my dogs fighting, so  it was a lot less stressful, I suppose. Instead of being smart about the whole thing, I tried grabbing for the chest to pull Kira off, and got my hands chomped by both dogs. They then kindly went back to lunging at each other. 

R heard the commotion (and me, panic-yelling, which by the way almost never works to stop the fight) and ran over, helping me to pull the two apart. I drug Kira inside, and tended to my charmingly gushing puncture wounds. Other than some missing tufts of fur, both dogs walked away in-tact from the scuffle. From now on, only one at a time in the yard for fetch. 

Fortunately for me, the wounds weren't too deep, and they were easily tended to. By the way, if you do get bit, and you feel medical treatment is necessary, AVOID STITCHES. It is much better to let the wounds drain, on their own, than closing them up allowing bacteria to fester. Trust me on this- I was attacked by dogs and in need of stitches as a kid, and a nasty infection followed. It resulted in some muscle damage and a nasty scar, along with my harboring a serious distrust of all things Chihuahua to this very day. 

As for the ant mounds, I'm insisting R dump chemical (doggy safe, of course) all over those frickin mounds til they die.die.die. Sorry, but ants that attack gotta go. 

1 comment:

  1. How scary to see the girls go at it. This does happen to many multiples. Usually caused by over stimuli wanting to grab mommy's attention. I only let the boston's out together and then the malinois and mix out together. I helps to prevent mismatches and attitudes. Last time they all went out together, LuLu aka bitzy aka gollum aka pain in the tushy had her knee broken by tilly the malinois. Hard expensive heartbreaking lesson learned.

    Thanks for coming by my blog!
    hugs
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete