Saturday, October 23, 2010

A little Rose


A wine snob, I am not. Five dollar bottles of wine can be damn good, and I've never spent more than ten bucks on any one bottle. So the $15 splurge (it was my birthday, I'm allowed) last weekend was unusual for me, especially considering it was PINK.

 

Good lord, me and pink just do not combine. Actually, it's rose, and comes from Monterey via Francis Coppola winery. A little bit of home (well, close enough), and from a director I don't hate. Worth a shot, right? 

 At the least I can use it in cooking later on. I find that "meh" wine goes great in beef stew. Besides, I was at CostPlus World Market, and had a $10 coupon in hand - so not much of a loss. By-the-by, I'm way more likely to spend a ridiculous amount of money with stores that have awesome customer loyalty things like birthday cash, and shopping rewards. I did not make it out of there under $70, and I'm ok with that. Hear me CostPlus? You're my crack, and I'm glad I have to drive more than twenty minutes to find you. Otherwise, I'd be broke (more so). 

Anyway, I tucked that bottle off home and finally popped it open last night.

Ok, so I took the photo this morning...
Being suspicious of things pink, I expected this to be overly perfumed or too sweet-or both. Instead I found it had a light, delicate balance of flavor. Mildly fruity with just the right amount of floral subtlety.I just really freakin' adore this wine. 

Two glasses in I had to force myself to stop and savour for another day. Waking up this morning, I seriously considered having a nip before breakfast. It's the perfect wine for an early glass, me thinks. Or for a summer day - make that any warmish day in Texas. Even now, I'm tempted to pour a glass and hang out on our back patio and watch the dogs romp around. It's not overpowering, like so many other rose wines I've tried. It stands well on it's own, and personally, I think pairing it with food would be a shame. 

I'll definitely have to restrain myself with this one, especially considering that CostPlus Work Market no longer carries the stuff (according to their online site, at least).

I may have to come up with a reason to go back and stock up, just in case...Well done Mr. Coppola. Well done, indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment