Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Worst.Girl.Ever.

At least, that's what I've been told. See, I don't do frilly, foo-foo, or fancy very well. Seeing baby girls in pink riles me up (so sexist) and every time I hear or read "BFF" I feel like kicking a puppy. (You know I would never actually kick a puppy, folks. Maybe fwap a tail or nom an ear, though).

It's taken all of 25 years for me to learn about makeup primer, and I still struggle with anything more than a wash-n-wear hair do. I like feminine, sure, but if it's pink I'll probably spit upon it and throw it back in your face. Unless it's cute puppy paws. Pink puppy paws are just so kissable. I digress...

 In general, if it's pink and/or girly, it's not coming anywhere near me. Which is why I'm having a hard time with decorating blogs lately. They're all just so...foofy. There, I said it. Foofy blogs. Actually, I quite enjoy the writing style of many (too many?) blogs out there, and even the ones featuring kids n family life often hit the mark with me too. It's just those darn foofy things my inner tom-boy just can't get on board with.

 The nice thing is I often come across ideas that can be easily altered to fit my tastes. Paint that a different color, remove the ribbon, ditch the bird-on-a-candlestick, and we'd have something I can go along with. That's when I run into another problem - I really, really don't like clutter. Of course, I say that in part because there tends to be so much of it accumulating around my house, I try to cut down on the amounts as much as possible. Having an arrangement of vases on a table, for example, just seems a little silly to me. First of all, we don't have much table space to spare, and second, we have dogs. Three rowdy, playful, athletic dogs that given half a chance will clear table and counter tops of anything even remotely related to the possibility of being edible.

 So, cutesy arrangements just don't work. I either wants those vases full of flowers (that's a hint, Dear) or stashed high above doggy heads and clumsy elbows. So how to pull together a functional, stylish house without the overly girly accents or the bachelor-pad look?

I'm still trying to figure this out. Lucky for me, every time I ask my darling man his opinion on something, I get the same response. "Whatever you want to do, baby, is fine with me." Have I mentioned I love this man? Seriously.

 So, the current decor-related issues, are really lack of translatable ideas. That, and the restriction of not being able to put more than a "reasonable number of small nail holes" in the walls. Yay, renting. Thank goodness for 3M strips and ticky-tack! Though, both have failed to secure a metal sign to our 'stone' backs plash in the kitchen. We're fighting, and the back splash is winning...

No comments:

Post a Comment